What are Irregular Bones
As the name suggests, irregular bones have unique shapes that cannot be classified as long, short, or flat bones.
Like short bones, irregular bones also primarily comprise spongy bone, with a layer of compact bone forming the outer surface.
List of Irregular Bones in the Body
In the vertebral column
- All the vertebrae (cervical, thoracic, lumbar)
In the skull
- These bones provide stability and shape the spinal column and parts of the head and face.
- The bones in the vertebral column, especially the sacrum, provide multiple attachment points for the skeletal muscles and tendons. This keeps the back and pelvic region flexible, allowing movement.
- Irregular Bones – NRPT.co.uk
- Irregular bones – RadioPaedia.org
- Types of Bone – LumenLearning.com